The answer is yes if you want to enjoy the full range of features that Xfinity offers its subscribers. While it is possible to connect to the internet without a router, doing so will limit your speeds and may prevent you from using certain features, such as streaming video or playing online games.
A modem is required in order to connect to the internet, but a router is needed in order to create a wireless network. If you have multiple devices that you want to connect to the internet, or if you want to be able to access the internet from anywhere in your home, then you will need a router.
You can either rent a modem and router from Xfinity, or you can purchase your own. If you decide to buy your own, make sure that it is compatible with the Xfinity network.
Do you need both devices for Xfinity?
If you want to use Xfinity, you will need to have both a cable modem and a router. The router connects to the modem and creates a Wi-Fi network in your home. You can connect devices to this network and access the internet. Most people will need to rent a modem from Comcast, as they do not sell modems outright. However, you can buy your own router.
If you have Xfinity Internet service, you can use any compatible modem or router. However, we recommend using a modem/router combo because it’s the simplest way to stay connected. Plus, it ensures that you’ll have the best possible experience with your Xfinity service.
How to determine which device you need?
If you’re unsure whether you need a modem or router, there are a few ways to check:
Check your devices: If you have a desktop computer, look at the back of the tower. If you see a coaxial cable (it looks like an antenna), then you have a modem. If not, you have a router.
Look at your Xfinity Internet equipment: The device that says Modem on it is a modem. The device that says Router is a router. If you’re not sure which one is which, unplug both devices and see if your internet goes out. If it does, the device you unplugged was your modem.
Consult your user manual: Your modem or router likely came with a user manual. This will have the brand and model number of your device, which you can use to look up whether it’s a modem or router.
How to set up your devices if you have them already?
If you have your own modem and router, you’ll need to set them up before you can use them. To do this:
- Connect the coaxial cable from the wall to the modem.
- Connect an Ethernet cable from the modem to the router (this is called the WAN or Internet port).
- Connect the power cord to the modem, and then plug it into an outlet.
- Wait a minute or two for the modem to connect to the network.
- Connect the power cord to the router, and then plug it into an outlet.
- Wait a minute or two for the router to connect to the network.
- Connect your computer or another device to the router using an Ethernet cable, or connect wirelessly by entering the Wi-Fi password.
Troubleshooting tips in case of problems
If you’re having trouble getting your modem and router to work together, here are a few tips:
- Check that the coaxial cable is connected to the modem and the modem is plugged into an outlet.
- Check that the Ethernet cable is connected to the WAN port on the router and the other end is connected to the modem.
- Check that the router is plugged into an outlet and all the lights are on.
- Restart your modem and router by unplugging them from their power sources, waiting a minute, and then plugging them back in.
- If you’re still having trouble, call your ISP or the manufacturer of your modem or router. They may be able to help you troubleshoot the issue.
Comcast offers a service called Xfinity xFi, which includes a modem/router combo and provides features like parental controls, security, and more. You can learn more about Xfinity xFi here.
If you have Xfinity Internet service, you can use any compatible modem or router. However, we recommend using a modem/router combo because it’s the simplest way to stay connected. Plus, it ensures that you’ll have the best possible experience with your Xfinity service. You can learn more about Xfinity xFi here.
If you have any questions or need help troubleshooting, feel free to contact us. We’re always happy to help.
I am the founder and CEO of Ownrouter. I have been in the industry for over 15 years, and I am passionate about routers. I have a degree in computer science from the University of London and worked as a network engineer for a large ISP. I am also a member of the board of directors for the Open Source Router Project. Learn more